NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science History Chapter 8 Ashoka, the Emperor Who gave up War are part of NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science. Here we have given NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science History Chapter 8 Ashoka, the Emperor Who gave up War.
|Subject||Social Science History|
|Chapter Name||Ashoka, the Emperor Who gave up War|
|Number of Questions Solved||8|
NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science History Chapter 8 Ashoka, the Emperor Who gave up War
NCERT TEXTBOOK EXERCISES (Pages 82-83)
Make a list of the occupations of the people who lived within the Mauryan empire.
The different occupations followed by the people were: Farming, pastoral fanning, food gathering in the forest, masonry, carpentry, stone cutting, and craftsmanship.
Complete the following sentences:
- Officials collected ………….. from the area under the direct control of the ruler.
- Royal princes often went to the provinces as ………..
- The Maury rulers tried to control ……… and ……… which were important for transport.
- People in forested regions provided the Mauryan officials with ………..
- taxes (from farmers, herders, craftspersons, and traders in villages and towns).
- roads, rivers.
- elephants and forest produce
State whether true or false:
- Ujjain was the gateway to the north-west.
- Chandragupta’s ideas were written down in the Arthashastra.
- Kalinga was the ancient name of Bengal
- Most Ashokan inscriptions are in the Brahmi script.
What were the problems that Ashoka wanted to solve by introducing dhamma?
There were a number of problems that troubled Ashoka. People in the empire followed different religions and this sometimes led to conflict. Animals were sacrificed. Slaves and servants were ill-treated. There were quarrels in the family and among the neighbors. He felt it was his duty to solve these problems.
What were the means adopted by Ashoka to spread the message of dhamma?
Ashoka adopted the following means to spread the message of dhamma:
- He appointed officials, known as the Dhamma Mahamatta who went from place to place teaching people about dhamma.
- Ashoka got his messages inscribed on rocks and pillars, instructing his officials to read his messages to those who could not read themselves.
- He also sent messengers to spread ideas about dhamma to other lands, such as Syria, Egypt, Greece, and Sri Lanka.
- Ashoka built roads, planted trees along these roads. He also dug wells and built rest houses. Besides the arranged for medical treatment for both human beings and animals.
Why do you think slaves and servants were ill-treated? Do you think the orders of the emperor would have improved their condition? Give reasons for your answer.
The slaves were mostly prisoners of war and servants did menial jobs. They were ill-treated. The orders of the emperor could have made the slaves free. If the servants were ill-treated the master could be punished.
Write a short paragraph explaining to Roshan why the lions are shown on our currency notes. List at least one other object on which you see them.
- The lions that we see on our currency notes and coins have a long history. They were carved in stone and placed on the top of a massive stone pillar at Samath (near Varanasi). Inscriptions were carved on the pillar and others like it, as well as on rock surface, on the instructions of Ashoka, one of the greatest rulers known to history.
- Lion capital from the Ashokan Pillar at Sarnath has four lions though only three can be seen, as the fourth one is covered with one of the lions. After India became free, this Ashokan capital became India’s National Emblem.
- We can see the lions on stamp papers also.
Suppose you had the power to inscribe your orders, what four commands would you like to issue?
The four orders are:
- Respect your parents and elders.
- All religions are equal and praiseworthy.
- Respect the laws of the country and the rules.
- Everyone has the right to education.
- All children, whether boys or girls, should be sent to school.
We hope the NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science History Chapter 8 Ashoka, the Emperor Who gave up War, help you. If you have any query regarding NCERT Solutions for Class 6 Social Science History Chapter 8 Ashoka, the Emperor Who gave up War, drop a comment below and we will get back to you at the earliest.